COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Resources
This resources page has been developed to summarize and equip the urban place management industry with current information and guidance for response and recovery to the pandemic in our downtowns, city centers and neighborhood districts. The importance of our role in supporting the post-pandemic future is crucial, and we must continue to emphasize the value the place management profession brings to our communities.
IDA has created a Coronavirus Pandemic Advocacy page to support urban place management organizations with gaining access to federal stimulus support during this major health, safety and economic crisis in our downtowns, city centers and neighborhood districts.
Each month, the Advancing Places webinar program will follow the same core schedule based on key IDA knowledge domains. The first Friday of each month will be Economic Development; the second Marketing, Communications and Events; the third Public Space Management and Operations; and finally the fourth Friday of each month will be Planning, Design and Infrastructure.
IDA will continue with the IDA Member CEO Community Discussion on the second Monday of each month, along with the IDA Canada Community Conversations taking place the fourth Monday.
IDA members are having vital discussions surrounding the many impacts of and recovery from coronavirus on IDEA Connection. This is a time when our community of professionals are benefiting from the combined wisdom within IDA and together begin to understand how communities are responding and recovering. Share knowledge and best practices for dealing with the challenges and impacts of COVID-19 on IDEA Connection.
As districts are being heavily impacted by physical distancing measures, business closures and community health implications, IDA has complied recovery strategies and guidelines from your peers across North America. (requires member login – make sure you are logged in by clicking the member login button in the upper right corner).
Not yet a member? Learn about IDA membership benefits.
Already a member? Please make sure you are logged into your member account to access member-only content. Need a refresher? Click here.
Resources by Category
Revisit this page frequently to remain informed and review the latest resources.
Do you have a resource or example of your response to the coronavirus to share with members? If so, email IDA’s Research Team.
The importance of our role in supporting the post-pandemic future is crucial for recovery and the new environment districts we will need to support. In past downturns, city centers and downtowns were among the first areas to bounce back, and they can be well-positioned to do so in the aftermath of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Brookings’ community-rooted economic inclusion playbook.
- Small Business Equity Toolkit™
- The Economist special report on the future of work
- New York Times “The Daily” podcast [The Next Year (or Two) of the Pandemic]
- Brookings Metro Recovery Index and their Spotlight on Local Recovery Efforts
- Canadian Urban Institute’s Bring Back Main Street initiative
- National League of Cities [Safely Reopening Municipal Facilities Toolkit]
- Design for Distancing: An Initiative by the City of Baltimore
- Canadian Urban Institute’s Bring Back Main Street
- Wall Street Journal article on vaccine and pandemic longevity
Many states and communities are rethinking the pace of reopening due to recent spikes in COVID-19 cases. During this uncertain time, it is critical for city and downtown leaders to know how their residents are feeling about reopening and their priorities concerning safety and economic issues. As a service to our members, IDA has partnered with RRC Associates to survey residents and provide insights into their opinions. This summary presents the results from all respondents from the U.S. and Canada. The data can be critically important in helping to shape your planning and messaging for the public. Sign up to deploy a district survey to understand consumer confidence specific to your area. IDA is providing this District Consumer Survey as a complimentary resource to assist with reopening businesses.
P.U.M.A and IDA now offer a 2020 Global Trends Report Pandemic Update – our reasoned estimation and expectation on how the pandemic and associated disruptions will affect North American downtowns. Download the publication for free from the IDA webstore.
This section offers direction on communications across media channels (social media, blog posts, newsletters, etc.). and samples of resource pages by urban place management organizations.
- Central Square BID has created a district-wide campaign to support the small business and arts community, and help residents feel safe as they resume daily activities.
- Georgetown DC is offering the use to other BIDs of their face mask poster template which is posted throughout the commercial district public spaces.
- Tampa Downtown Partnership [2020 Annual Video]
- GrowthZone [social media images and more COVID-19 resources]
- Grow with Google’s marketing toolkit [free resources such as posters, social media posts, promotion and more]
- Canva and Postermywall [print and social media COVID-19 resources]
IDA is pursuing measures to keep members and conference attendees safe and informed. For information about and status of upcoming IDA events, please check the event webpages.
The information and materials provided on these resource pages are provided as an informational resource only. Please consult your own experts and professionals to advise you with regard to your specific facts and circumstances.