▪ COVID-19 Resources
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Resources
This resources page has been developed to summarize and equip the urban place management industry with current information and guidance for response and recovery to the pandemic in our downtowns, city centers and neighborhood districts. The importance of our role in supporting the post-pandemic future is crucial, and we must continue to emphasize the value the place management profession brings to our communities.
IDA has created a Coronavirus Pandemic Advocacy page to support urban place management organizations with gaining access to federal stimulus support during this major health, safety and economic crisis in our downtowns, city centers and neighborhood districts.
IDA is excited to introduce a new weekly online series for inspired leaders shaping cities. Advancing Places will empower urban champions with the solutions needed to address the most critical urban issues of the day. This series is available for both members and nonmembers. Register for upcoming sessions here.
COVID-19: IDA Member Community Discussions present practitioners and experts in place management to discuss responding to and recovering from the pandemic. IDA is currently hosting CEO discussions and Canadian-focused conversations These sessions include a moderated Q&A. Click here to save your spot for the next discussion.
IDA members are having vital discussions surrounding the many impacts of and recovery from coronavirus on IDEA Connection. This is a time when our community of professionals are benefiting from the combined wisdom within IDA and together begin to understand how communities are responding and recovering. Share knowledge and best practices for dealing with the challenges and impacts of COVID-19 on IDEA Connection.
As districts are being heavily impacted by physical distancing measures, business closures and community health implications, IDA has complied recovery strategies and guidelines from your peers across North America. (requires member login – make sure you are logged in by clicking the member login button in the upper right corner).
Not yet a member? Learn about IDA membership benefits.
Already a member? Please make sure you are logged into your member account to access member-only content. Need a refresher? Click here.
Resources by Category
Revisit this page frequently to remain informed and review the latest resources.
Do you have a resource or example of your response to the coronavirus to share with members? If so, email IDA’s Research Team.
The importance of our role in supporting the post-pandemic future is crucial for recovery and the new environment districts we will need to support. In past downturns, city centers and downtowns were among the first areas to bounce back, and they can be well-positioned to do so in the aftermath of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Register and log into the Downtown Rosslyn’s BID innovative reopening program, Rosslyn Ready, and witness first-hand how business owners access expert recommendations for opening a business during the COVID-19 pandemic. A special non-Rosslyn link has been provided for IDA readers.
- Sign up to deploy a free district survey to understand consumer confidence specific to your area. In additional to receiving results for your district, the survey will provide a global perspective of consumer confidence in urban commercial areas.
- CDC Activities and Initiatives Supporting the COVID-19 Response and the President’s Plan for Opening America Up Again [May 2020 Report]
- New York Times “The Daily” podcast [The Next Year (or Two) of the Pandemic]
- U.S. State’s Phased Re-Opening Plans [Governing]
- Where 50 U.S. States Stand on Reopening [CNN]
- Where Restaurants Have Reopened Across the U.S. [Eater Article]
Create policies to protect your ambassadors/clean and safe teams and help create a safe atmosphere in the public realm.
- Download IDA’s Top Issues Council report, Downtown Districts at the Table: Planning for Safety & Security (free PDF download).
- Downtown Santa Monica has created emergency storefront resources for local businesses and organized community clean-ups.
- Centro San Antonio [social media infographics]
- Downtown Vancouver BIA [safety advice webpage]
- Downtown Long Beach Alliance, Midtown Association and Downtown Santa Monica have organized community clean-ups.
This section offers direction on communications across media channels (social media, blog posts, newsletters, etc.). and samples of resource pages by urban place management organizations.
- Downtown Regina’s day by day updates and communications
- Cool Spring Downtown District’s #DowntownFayStrong video
- Downtown Spokane’s We Will, Again video
- Downtown Seattle Association’s #WeGotThisSeattle video [message of hope and comeback]
- Downtown Huntsville, Inc.’s video [Comeback story]
- Ontario BIA Association (OBIAA)[resource page]
- Downtown Long Beach Alliance [Twitter feed updates]
- LA Fashion District [blog post updates]
- Grow with Google’s marketing toolkit [free resources such as posters, social media posts, promotion and more]
- Canva and Postermywall [print and social media COVID-19 resources]
- Mailchimp [offering free standard accounts for eligible organizations]
- ConstantContact [support kit for small businesses]
- Microsoft Teams [free for remote work and distance learning]
- The Hollywood Partnership [Zoom backgrounds of key destinations Hollywood]
- Downtown Chandler [virtual backgrounds to show local pride from a safe distance]
The resources below provide direction on advocacy relief for local businesses as well as guidelines and recommendations for strategies for various workplaces.
- The CARES Act: A Guide to the Resources for Nonprofit Organizations [Tenenbaum Law Group LLC]
- Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (The CARES Act) for Non-Profits [Rogers & Company PLLC]
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce and Inc: National Small Business Town Hall Webinar [Learn about what the CARES Act means to small businesses]
- U.S. Senate Committee on Small Business & Entrepreneurship – Business Owner’s Guide to the CARES Act [What the CARES Act means for small business owners]
- U.S. Small Business Administration [Loan eligibility] and [Emergency preparedness]
- SBA Programs – Scams and Fraud Alerts
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Guidance for Businesses and Employers [Recommended strategies to help prevent workplace exposures]
- National Restaurant Association: Coronavirus Information and Resources[Resources specific to the foodservice industry]
- Government of Canada [Canada Emergency Response Benefit]
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Resources for Canadian Businesses
- Government of Canada Labour Program [Benefits and services]
- Streetsense’s COVID-19 webpage contains a number of resources related to the impacts on restaurants, retail and small businesses.
- How the COVID-19 Pandemic Will Reshape Our Cities [webinar between Richard Florida and Steven Pedigo on how to prepare and plan now for recovery]
- 2015 Toolkit from IEDC for economic recovery and resilience
From David Downey, President & CEO, IDA:
“ These marathon weeks will one day result in a very real, internal glowing affirmation, inside each and every one of us, knowing we never quit and continued to find new ways to support our community, colleagues and friends…” Read More
- Click here to access the May 28, 2020 News From the Top.
- Click here to access the May 21, 2020 News From the Top.
- Click here to access the May 14, 2020 News From the Top.
- Click here to access the May 7, 2020 News From the Top.
- Click here to access the April 30, 2020 News From the Top.
- Click here to access the April 23, 2020 News From the Top (by Tami Door, Downtown Denver)
- Click here to access the April 16, 2020 News From the Top.
- Click here to access the April 9, 2020 News From the Top.
- Click here to access the April 2, 2020 News From the Top.
- Click here to access the March 26, 2020 News From the Top (by Tami Door, Downtown Denver)
- Click here to access the March 19, 2020 News From the Top.
- Click here to access the March 12, 2020 News From the Top.
- Click here to access the March 5, 2020 News From the Top.
Downtown, center cities and neighborhood districts are heavily impacted by physical distancing measures, business closures and community health implications. IDA’s members are a multidisciplinary group that work collaboratively to solve problems, develop tools and create strategies addressing a broad range of issues impacting how people live, work and play in cities. See how IDA members are responding during COVID-19.
May 29, 2020: Part of Holmes Ave. Closed to Support Local Restaurants [WAAY ABC 31]
May 22, 2020: Downtown Tampa’s First Intersection Mural to Come Alive this Weekend [Tampa Bay Business Journal]
May 18, 2020: For Small Businesses, Survival May Hinge on Closing Streets [CNN Business]
May 14, 2020: Parking Lots to Patios [Hartford Courant]
May 8, 2020: Tampa’s Clean Team Tracks Arc of Coronavirus in Trash and Graffiti [Tampa Bay Times]
May 8, 2020: Downtown Huntsville Inc. Helping Businesses Navigate Health Order [WHNT]
May 5, 2020: Downtown Partnership Helping Coronavirus-Impacted Tampa Businesses [Bay News 9]
May 4, 2020: Bethesda Pedestrian Bridge Art Honors Health Care Workers, First Responders [Bethesda Magazine]
April 27, 2020: Planning for Life in Cities After the Pandemic [Stantec via BD+C]
April 23, 2020: Fund Helps Georgetown’s Laid-Off Workers [NBC4 video]
April 23, 2020: Downtown Oklahoma City Businesses, Non-Profits Prepare To Reopen [News on 6]
April 23, 2020: Crystal City BID to Launch a Series of Musical Fridays Tomorrow [ARL Now]
April 23, 2020: Baltimore launches $5.5 million COVID-19 Small Business Assistance Initiative Fund [ABC 2]
April 21, 2020: Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership Gift Card Program Sees Nearly 1,000 Purchases In First 5 Days [CBS 2]
April 20, 2020: Anchorage Downtown Partnership Announces Launch Downtown [Anchorage Press]
April 19, 2020: Downtown Seattle Association CEO On How Tech Makes Us Vulnerable And Helps Amid The Pandemic [GeekWire]
April 18, 2020: Downtown Partnership Of Baltimore Offering Gift Card Incentive To Help Local Businesses Stay Afloat [CBS Baltimore]
April 17, 2020: Downtown Tucson Partnership Helps Sells Gift Cards to Support Local Businesses [KOLD13 News]
April 17, 2020: Program to Offer 25 Percent Give Back Bonus on Purchases of Local Gift Cards Launches [Pittsburgh Business Times]
April 16, 2020: With Business Waning, Gift Card Program Aims to ‘Support all of Downtown’ [11 KTVA]
April 16, 2020: David Guetta is Performing in Miami. You Can’t Go To the Show but Here’s How to See it [Miami Herald]
April 13, 2020: Crystal City Business Improvement District Honors ‘Hometown Heroes’ During Pandemic [ABC7]
April 13, 2020: Halifax Street Creates ‘Virtual Shopping Mall’ for Shops and Services [CTV News]
April 7, 2020: In the Face of COVID-19, Restaurants Like Montréal Plaza Are Helping to Feed the Homeless [Eater Montreal]
April 6, 2020: A New Program Sees Restaurants Serving Meals to the Homeless [Berkeleyside]
April 6, 2020: KOP Quaranteam Virtual Events Sport Restaurants and Food Cupboard [The Times Herald]
April 6, 2020: Flatiron Eateries Keep Healthcare Workers, First Responders Fed [Patch.com]
April 3, 2020: Without a Stronger Government Response, Main Street Businesses Will be Decimated By the Pandemic [Halifax Examiner]
April 3, 2020: Downtown Green Bay Lights Up to Spread Goodwill and Show Some Love [Green Bay Press Gazette]
April 3, 2020: City Delivers for Seniors and Downtown Businesses During Pandemic [South Florida Sun Sentinel]
April 3, 2020: Downtown Huntsville Dining: How It May Be Changed Forever [AL.com]
April 1, 2020: Retailers Take Proactive Approach to Prevent Looting During Shutdown [WWD]
March 31, 2020: Essential staff continue sanitizing Downtown Austin in COVID-19 fight [CBS Austin]
March 31, 2020: Golden Triangle Ambassadors Stay Safe While Helping Keep the City Clean [Fox 5 video]
March 30, 2020: Downtown Businesses Turn To Creativity To Make Ends Meet [91.5 KRCC]
March 29, 2020: Downtown Seattle’s Future Depends on Coronavirus-Relief Funds Now [The Seattle Times]
March 29, 2020: West Palm Beach Brings Local Musicians Directly to Your Screen [WPTV]
March 29, 2020: Company Gives Huntsville 65,000 Pounds of Free Food [AL.com]
March 28, 2020: Comfort Stations Installed to Help the Homeless of Harrisburg [WGAL 8]
March 27, 2020: DDD Supporting Local Businesses [Fox 8]
March 25, 2020: Downtown Bozeman’s COVID-19 Response: Recovery and Resiliency [Bozeman Daily Chronicle]
March 25, 2020: Virtual Concerts to Replace Downtown Alive, Help Musicians Who Lost Gigs Cecause of Coronavirus [The Acadiana Advocate]
March 25, 2020: Downtown Surrey BIA Kick Starts Meal Program [Surrey Now-Leader]
March 25, 2020 (ongoing): Virtual Tempe Festival of the Arts #SupportArtists [Instagam]
March 25, 2020: See Downtown Milwaukee Buildings Lit Up In Red, White And Blue As Sign Of Hope: Slideshow [Milwaukee Business Journal]
March 24, 2020: Downtown Improvement District Deploys Handwashing Stations in Minneapolis [ABC 5]
March 23, 2020: Cambridge To Pay Restaurants To Make Meals For Homeless People [Bostonomix]
March 20, 2020: Campaign To Promote Restaurant Takeout During Coronavirus Closure [Tampa Patch]
March 19, 2020: Christmas in March? People Hang Holiday Lights Amid Coronavirus Pandemic [Distractify]
March 19, 2020: A community comes together to fight a virus [Reno Gazette Journal]
March 17, 2020: Kalamazoo Downtown Partnership Working To Help Local Businesses [WKZO]
March 17, 2020: Out of Work? Here’s Where to Turn for Help [Santa Barbara Independent]
March 17, 2020: How COVID-19 Is Impacting Anchorage’s Small Business — And What You Can Do [Alaska Journal of Commerce]
March 16, 2020: Local Businesses Ask That While They Work Hard To Serve You Safely– Please Don’t Forget About Them [WHNT19]
March 12, 2020: DSA President Calls for Creative, Urgent Action to Support Seattle Businesses [My Northwest]
March 10, 2020: Seattle Small Businesses Pinched As Virus Keeps Workers Home [Valdosta Daily Times]
March 4, 2020: Addressing The Coronavirus Outbreak: A Walk Through Downtown Lancaster With A Medical Expert [Fox43]
How is your downtown responding to COVID-19? Share with us.
Event cancellations and institutional closures are happening across the globe. This section provides action to take and resources for urban place management organizations to keep their constituents up-to-date and continue to promote downtown’s virtual vibrancy.
- Georgetown BID [example of event cancellation page]
- Downtown Vancouver BIA [weekly virtual event listings]
- Downtown West Palm Beach [Saturday Soirees]
- DowntownDC BID [example of event cancellation page]
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Preventing Spread in Communities[How to prepare and take action in specific locations and communities]
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Mass Gatherings or Large Community Events [Guidance for organizers and staff responsible for planning mass gatherings or large community events in the U.S.]
- Meetings Mean Business Coalition[Tailored resources and communications assistance for meeting and event professionals]
This section includes travel guidance and advisories.
- Government of Canada: Travel Advice for COVID-19
- U.S. Department of State – Bureau of Consular Affairs Current Outbreak Advisories
- U.S. Travel Association: Emergency Preparedness and Response: Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Information for Travel
- World Health Organization: Coronavirus Disease Travel Advice
The resources below provide an overview of the coronavirus outbreak which was declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on 30 January 2020. These links provide rolling updates on COVID-19 including health, prevention and response resources as well as responses by governments around the globe.
- World Health Organization: Coronavirus disease
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Coronavirus Disease 2019
- Public Health Agency of Canada: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Factsheet
- Government of Canada: Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Outbreak update
- UK Government Coronavirus: What You Need to Know
- The Federal Government (Germany) Coronavirus Resources
- Government Offices of Sweden Response to COVID-19
- South African Government National Coronavirus Command Council
- Japan’s Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare: About COVID-19
- New Zealand Government Unite Against COVID-19
- Scottish Government: Coronavirus in Scotland
- Johns Hopkins CSSE Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases Map
- Unacast’s Social Distancing Scoreboard [developed to empower organizations to measure and understand the efficacy of physical distancing initiatives at the local level]
IDA is pursuing measures to keep members and conference attendees safe and informed. For information about and status of upcoming IDA events, please check the event webpages.
The information and materials provided on these resource pages are provided as an informational resource only. Please consult your own experts and professionals to advise you with regard to your specific facts and circumstances.