▪ COVID-19 Resources
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Resources
This resources page has been developed to summarize and equip the urban place management industry with current information and best practices in preparing for and responding to the COVID-19 in our downtowns, city centers and neighborhood districts.
On April 2, 2020, IDA created a Coronavirus Pandemic Advocacy page to support urban place management organizations with gaining access to federal stimulus support during this major health, safety and economic crisis in our downtowns, city centers and neighborhood districts. Our members, as well as IDA, need everyone to advocate for all 501 (c) designations. There are several requests, so please review them all and take action today.
COVID-19: IDA Member Community Discussions: Each Friday hear from leading subject matter experts on various topics about how their organization is responding to the outbreak. Each Monday, IDA has will host a CEO discussion featuring member executives from around the globe to provide a strategic overview and leadership perspective. IDA Canada will be hosting Wednesday conversation calls with front-line perspectives on what colleagues are facing every day as business and property owners try to cope with unprecedented circumstances and Canadian-focused content. All sessions will include a moderated Q&A. Please note, COVID-19: IDA Member Community Discussions live webinars are currently accessible for IDA members only. Selected past recordings are available for members and nonmembers.
IDA members are having vital discussions surrounding the many impacts of coronavirus on IDEA Connection. This is a time when our community of professionals are benefiting from the combined wisdom within IDA and together begin to understand how communities are responding and recovering. Share knowledge and best practices for dealing with the challenges and impacts of COVID-19 on IDEA Connection.
As districts are being heavily impacted by physical distancing measures, business closures and community health implications, IDA has complied best practices from your peers across North America (requires member login).
Not yet a member? Learn about IDA membership benefits.
Already a member? Please make sure you are logged into your member account to access member-only content. Need a refresher? Click here.
Resources by Category
Revisit this page frequently to remain informed and review the latest resources.
Do you have a resource or example of your response to the coronavirus to share with members? If so, email IDA’s Research Team.
below provide direction on advocacy relief for local businesses as well as guidelines and recommendations for strategies for various workplaces.
- Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (The CARES Act) for Non-Profits
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce and Inc: National Small Business Town Hall Webinar [Learn about what the CARES Act means to small businesses]
- Georgetown BID [see The CARES Act 2020 for a UPMO example explaining what The CARES Act will do for your community and stakeholders]
- U.S. Small Business Administration [Loan eligibility]
- U.S. Small Business Administration [Emergency preparedness]
- Department of Finance Canada [news release regarding Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB)]
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan [$27 billion in direct support to Canadian workers and businesses to help stabilize the economy]
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Guidance for Businesses and Employers [Recommended strategies to help prevent workplace exposures]
- 2015 Toolkit from IEDC for economic recovery and resilience.
- National Restaurant Association: Coronavirus Information and Resources[Resources specific to the foodservice industry]
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce: Combating the Coronavirus” Webinar
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Resources for Canadian Businesses
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Communication Resources[Free resources including video, fact sheets and posters available for use and distribution]
- U.S. Department of Labor[Fact sheets, FAQs and posters]
- Government of Canada Labour Program [Benefits and services]
This section offers direction on communications across media channels (social media, blog posts, newsletters, etc.). and samples of resource pages by urban place management organizations.
- Downtown Seattle Association[resource page]
- Ontario BIA Association (OBIAA)[resource page]
- Chicago Loop Alliance[resource page]
- Downtown Long Beach Alliance [Twitter feed updates]
- LA Fashion District [blog post updates]
- Seattle Office of Economic Development Economic Impact Survey Questions [Downtown Seattle partnered with the City to distribute this survey]
- Canva [print and social media COVID-19 resources]
- Mailchimp [offering free standard accounts for eligible organizations]
- ConstantContact [support kit for small businesses]
- Microsoft Teams [free for remote work and distance learning]
From David Downey, President & CEO, IDA:
“Our current situation, while unique, reminds me of my prior work and lessons learned from Hurricane Katrina as well as other disastrous events. Our communities and organizations are in the first of three stages, described as Response, Recovery and Rebuilding. This is a time when the environment is changing quickly, information is of abundance, and the future forward can seem unclear…” Read More
- Click here to access the April 2, 2020 News From the Top.
- Click here to access the March 26, 2020 News From the Top (by Tami Door, Downtown Denver)
- Click here to access the March 19, 2020 News From the Top.
- Click here to access the March 12, 2020 News From the Top.
- Click here to access the March 5, 2020 News From the Top.
Downtown, center cities and neighborhood districts are heavily impacted by social distancing measures, business closures and community health implications. IDA’s members are a multidisciplinary group that work collaboratively to solve problems, develop tools and create strategies addressing a broad range of issues impacting how people live, work and play in cities. See how IDA members are responding during COVID-19.
April 3, 2020: Without a Stronger Government Response, Main Street Businesses Will be Decimated By the Pandemic [Halifax Examiner]
April 3, 2020: Downtown Huntsville Dining: How It May Be Changed Forever [AL.com]
April 1, 2020: Retailers Take Proactive Approach to Prevent Looting During Shutdown [WWD]
March 31, 2020: Essential staff continue sanitizing Downtown Austin in COVID-19 fight [CBS Austin]
March 31, 2020: Golden Triangle Ambassadors Stay Safe While Helping Keep the City Clean [Fox 5 video]
March 30, 2020: Downtown Businesses Turn To Creativity To Make Ends Meet [91.5 KRCC]
March 29, 2020: Downtown Seattle’s Future Depends on Coronavirus-Relief Funds Now [The Seattle Times]
March 29, 2020: West Palm Beach Brings Local Musicians Directly to Your Screen [WPTV]
March 29, 2020: Company Gives Huntsville 65,000 Pounds of Free Food [AL.com]
March 28, 2020: Comfort Stations Installed to Help the Homeless of Harrisburg [WGAL 8]
March 27, 2020: DDD Supporting Local Businesses [Fox 8]
March 25, 2020: Downtown Bozeman’s COVID-19 Response: Recovery and Resiliency [Bozeman Daily Chronicle]
March 25, 2020: Virtual Concerts to Replace Downtown Alive, Help Musicians Who Lost Gigs Cecause of Coronavirus [The Acadiana Advocate]
March 25, 2020: Downtown Surrey BIA Kick Starts Meal Program [Surrey Now-Leader]
March 25, 2020 (ongoing): Virtual Tempe Festival of the Arts #SupportArtists [Instagam]
March 25, 2020: See Downtown Milwaukee Buildings Lit Up In Red, White And Blue As Sign Of Hope: Slideshow [Milwaukee Business Journal]
March 24, 2020: Downtown Improvement District Deploys Handwashing Stations in Minneapolis [ABC 5]
March 23, 2020: Cambridge To Pay Restaurants To Make Meals For Homeless People [Bostonomix]
March 20, 2020: Campaign To Promote Restaurant Takeout During Coronavirus Closure [Tampa Patch]
March 19, 2020: Christmas in March? People Hang Holiday Lights Amid Coronavirus Pandemic [Distractify]
March 17, 2020: Kalamazoo Downtown Partnership Working To Help Local Businesses [WKZO]
March 17, 2020: Out of Work? Here’s Where to Turn for Help [Santa Barbara Independent]
March 17, 2020: How COVID-19 Is Impacting Anchorage’s Small Business — And What You Can Do [Alaska Journal of Commerce]
March 16, 2020: Local Businesses Ask That While They Work Hard To Serve You Safely– Please Don’t Forget About Them [WHNT19]
March 12, 2020: DSA President Calls for Creative, Urgent Action to Support Seattle Businesses [My Northwest]
March 10, 2020: Seattle Small Businesses Pinched As Virus Keeps Workers Home [Valdosta Daily Times]
March 4, 2020: Addressing The Coronavirus Outbreak: A Walk Through Downtown Lancaster With A Medical Expert [Fox43]
March 3, 2020: Coronavirus Response Gathering Steam In Evansville, Measures Seen As ‘Proactive’ [Courier & Press]
How is your downtown responding to COVID-19? Share with us.
Event cancellations and institutional closures are happening across the globe. This section provides action to take and resources for urban place management organizations to keep their constituents up-to-date.
- Georgetown BID [example of event cancellation page]
- DowntownDC BID [example of event cancellation page]
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Preventing Spread in Communities[How to prepare and take action in specific locations and communities]
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Mass Gatherings or Large Community Events [Guidance for organizers and staff responsible for planning mass gatherings or large community events in the U.S.]
- Meetings Mean Business Coalition[Tailored resources and communications assistance for meeting and event professionals]
This section includes travel guidance and advisories.
- Government of Canada: Travel Advice for COVID-19
- U.S. Department of Sate – Bureau of Consular Affairs Current Outbreak Advisories
- U.S. Travel Association: Emergency Preparedness and Response: Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Information for Travel
- World Health Organization: Coronavirus Disease Travel Advice
The resources below provide an overview of the coronavirus outbreak which was declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on 30 January 2020. These links provide rolling updates on COVID-19 including health, prevention and response resources as well as responses by governments around the globe.
- World Health Organization: Coronavirus disease
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Coronavirus Disease 2019
- Public Health Agency of Canada: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Factsheet
- Government of Canada: Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Outbreak update
- UK Government Coronavirus: What You Need to Know
- The Federal Government (Germany) Coronavirus Resources
- Government Offices of Sweden Response to COVID-19
- South African Government National Coronavirus Command Council
- Japan’s Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare: About COVID-19
- New Zealand Government Unite Against COVID-19
- Scottish Government: Coronavirus in Scotland
- Johns Hopkins CSSE Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases Map
- Unacast’s Social Distancing Scoreboard [developed to empower organizations to measure and understand the efficacy of social distancing initiatives at the local level]
Below are health department links and examples of health resources from around the globe.
- Full list of U.S. State health departments
- Infection Prevention and Control Canada (IPAC) / Prévention et contrôle des infections Canada (PCI): Information about Coronavirus
- British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
- Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living
- Nova Scotia: Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Ontario Health and Wellness
- Québec Health Issues
- Saskatchewan Health Care Administration
- European Commission Public Health
- Western Cape Government Health Poster (PDF)
- City of Cape Town Alert (PDF)
- South African Government Posters and infographics
- UK Department of Health & Social Care